The Palliative Care Institute provides community service and internship opportunities to meet the growing demand for interdisciplinary education and training related to care for those with serious illness or facing end of life.
PCI provides opportunities for Western students and faculty to participate in
- Action research related to the development of a palliative community of excellence,
- Community based service learning for students interested in careers in health related fields,
- Learning opportunities for those in the arts and humanities to bring the languages and practices of their own disciplines to bear on these complex social issues,
- Development of a resource of conference proceedings and research reports available to the public through the Western Library's CEDAR program,
- Development of a community based website of resources.
At this time, Western does not offer focused study (major or minor) in palliative care, however, a number of faculty offer courses related to this field of study (click on Student/Resources to see a current list).